If you wish to apply for a place at Discovery Primary Academy you must first contact the Peterborough County Council Admissions Team on 01733 747474. The Admissions Team deal with all aspects of the admissions process.
Peterborough operates a catchment area for each Local Authority and Voluntary Controlled School although parents/carers do have the right to express a preference for an alternative school. We accept children from the local neighbourhood and sometimes from further away. Priority is given to pupils living in the catchment area but an admission limit for each year group is determined by the Local Authority. The school PAN number is currently 90.
Children who have a statement of special educational needs that names the academy will be admitted. Those children with a statement of special educational needs that does not name the academy will be referred to Student Assessment to determine an appropriate place. Thereafter, the criteria used to allocate places in the event of over subscription are:
- Children in Care, also known as Looked After Children.
- Children living in the catchment area with a sibling at the academy at the time of admission.
- Children living in the catchment area.
- Children living outside the catchment area who have a sibling at the academy at the time of admission.
- Children living outside the catchment area who have been unable to gain a place at their catchment area school because of over subscription.
- Children living outside the catchment area, but nearest to the school as measured by a straight line. In cases of equal merit, priority will be given to the child living nearest the school as measured by a straight line. Distance is measured in a straight line using the Local Land Property Gazetteer (LLPG) provided from the seed point located at the child's home address to the seed point for the school. The seed point is taken from the ordinance survey's (OS) Address-Base data-set. It is used to locate individual residential and school addresses using grid references as seed points.
If your child has been attending a pre-school, a nursery school or nursery class, this will not be taken into account when admission allocation decisions are made. Attendance at a particular nursery class or pre-school on a school site does not result in any priority for admission to that school. Parents/carers whose children are attending nursery classes attached to primary schools must still apply for a place in Reception.
In-Year Application Form - currently in-year admissions are being dealt with by Peterborough City Council on our behalf. As of January 2020, Discovery Primary Academy will be responsible for all in-year admissions. For further information please open the letter at the bottom of the page.
New Foundation Stage and year 7 admissions for September 2020
All new FS admissions are dealt with by the Peterborough Local Authority. Peterborough children who attend a Local Authority Peterborough Primary school will receive information from the Academy on applying to Secondary Schools. Parents of Year 6 students who do not attend a Peterborough Primary school but live in Peterborough should contact the Admissions Team at the Education Office in Peterborough for further information prior to entry into Secondary Education. Up to 1 March all enquiries should be made to the Admissions team at the Local Authority
Further information regarding this process can be found in the Peterborough Admissions Guide.
Please see policy below.
Changes to in year admissions from January 2020
For further information, please see Notification of In Year Admissions Jan 2020 document below