If you wish to apply for a place at Discovery Primary Academy you must first contact the Peterborough County Council Admissions Team on 01733 747474. The Admissions Team deal with all aspects of the admissions process.
Peterborough operates a catchment area for each Local Authority and Voluntary Controlled School although parents/carers do have the right to express a preference for an alternative school. We accept children from the local neighbourhood and sometimes from further away. Priority is given to pupils living in the catchment area but an admission limit for each year group is determined by the Local Authority. The school PAN number is currently 90.
Children who have a statement of special educational needs that names the school will be admitted. Those children with a statement of special educational needs that does not name the school will be referred to Student Assessment to determine an appropriate place. Thereafter, the criteria used to allocate places in the event of over subscription are:
1. Children in Care, also known as Looked After Children.
2. Children living in the catchment area with a sibling at the school at the time of admission.
3. Children living in the catchment area.
4. Children living outside the catchment area who have a sibling at the school at the time of admission.
5. Children living outside the catchment area who have been unable to gain a place at their catchment area school because of over subscription.
6. Children living outside the catchment area, but nearest to the school as measured by a straight line. In cases of equal merit, priority will be given to the child living nearest the school as measured by a straight line. Distance is measured in a straight line using the Local Land Property Gazetteer (LLPG) provided from the seed point located at the child's home address to the seed point for the school. The seed point is taken from the ordinance survey's (OS) Address-Base data-set. It is used to locate individual residential and school addresses using grid references as seed points.
If your child has been attending a pre-school, a nursery school or nursery class, this will not be taken into account when admission allocation decisions are made. Attendance at a particular nursery class or pre-school on a school site does not result in any priority for admission to that school. Parents/carers whose children are attending nursery classes attached to primary schools must still apply for a place in Reception.
Transferring from another school
If you have moved, are moving, or wish to request an alternative school for your child you will need to complete an application form. All in-year applications must be made using the paper application form, which can be downloaded from the Peterborough City Council Website.
Transition to Secondary School
The transition to secondary school is also of importance to us and we strive to prepare our children and equip them with the skills and knowledge and confidence to continue their learning journey. Close liaison with the local secondary schools ensures that the needs of our older children are met accordingly. In Year 5, our children have the opportunity to visit local secondary schools. Parents are required to complete an Admission Form prior to a secondary place being offered. Further information and details regarding secondary transfer can be obtained from the school office.
For more information about admissions, please contact Peterborough City Council by emailing email@example.com or visit their website https://www.peterborough.gov.uk/residents/schools-and-education/admissions/.