The Governance handbook is departmental advice from the Department for Education. It sets out the government’s vision and priorities for effective school governance, and:
- outlines the core role and functions of the board of governors in maintained schools and academies
- summarises and provides a first point of reference on all the legal duties on boards, signposting to more detailed information, guidance and resources
- provides information on the support available to boards to be effective.
Who is the handbook for?
The Governance handbook is for:
- Governors, headteachers, clerks and others with an interest in the governance of maintained schools
- Members, trustees, local governors, principals, clerks and others with an interest in the governance of academy trusts and multi-academy trusts.
Governor's Annual Statement