Discovery Primary School Aims
To enable our pupils to prepare for adulthood whilst enjoying their childhood we aim to:
· nurture children within a safe, happy and stimulating school environment
· prepare each child to become a responsible citizen of the future
· teach that courtesy, good manners, respect and consideration for all are important.
· inspire all children to achieve the best they can
These values have been chosen by ALL Stakeholders at Discovery Primary School.
We endeavor to provide an appropriate broad, balanced, stimulating and relevant curriculum based upon the requirements of the National Curriculum, in order that the children can:
· Communicate clearly and confidently through speaking and to listen attentively and respond appropriately.
· Read fluently, accurately and with understanding, developing emotions and discriminatory skills.
· Write with enthusiasm and interest, demonstrating a knowledge of the basic rules of grammar, a wide vocabulary and familiarity with basic spellings.
· Understand basic computation, solve mathematical problems using basic concepts and be able to apply their mathematical skills in everyday life.
· To use a range of observation, investigational research techniques to develop scientific skills and knowledge.
· To study geographical, historical and social aspects of the local, national and international environment.
· Acquire information from a variety of sources, using a range of research skills and record it appropriately.
· Develop confidence and skills that will enable children to express feelings and knowledge through many art forms including music, movement, drama, art and design.
· Develop agility, physical co-ordination through P.E. and sport whilst promoting the importance of fit, healthy bodies and gaining an understanding of how it works and how to care for it.
· To develop an awareness of self and sensitivity to others, acquire a set of moral values and the confidence to make an oral judgement.
· To acquire an understanding of faiths and beliefs in the main Christianity, and encourage a tolerance of beliefs held by others.